Denise Willey – Suzuki Strings Instructor
Music Training: Bachelor of Music, magna cum laude, University of Utah, 1975; Utah teaching certificate in composite secondary music with elementary music endorsement; graduate music classes, Brigham Young University and University of Utah; Intermuse Kodaly training, BYU, 2011.
Suzuki Training: with Registered Teacher Trainers
- Violin: Books one through ten: Hiroko Primrose, Ellie Albers LeRoux, Jeanne Grover, Jacqueline Mauer, Pat D’Ercole, Linda Fiore, Allen Lieb, Barbara Barber, Cathy Lee, Ed Sprunger,
- Viola: Books one through seven: Elizabeth Stuen-Walker, William Preucil,
- Cello: Books one through three: Carol Tarr, Susan Gagnon, Charlene Wilson.
- Bass: Book one: Daniel Swaim, Virginia Dixon
- SAA Teaching Practicum: Christie Felsing
- Suzuki Principles in Action: Pat D’Ercole
Supplemental Teacher Training: Dr. Shinichi Suzuki, William Starr, John Kendall, Rhonda Cole, Susan Kempner, Alice Joy Lewis, Doris Preucil, Ed Kreitman, Linda Case, Liz Arbus, Tonya Carey, Timothy Durbin, Joseph Kaminsky, Julia Hardie, Janet Andersen, Judy Offman, Deborah Moench, Richard Hoyt, Carey Cheney, Rodney Farrar, Richard Aaron, Rick Mooney,
Professional Experience, Distinctions, Memberships, & Responsibilities
- Registered Teacher Trainer, viola & violin, Suzuki Association of Americas
- Member, Suzuki Association of Utah, Advanced Active Status; Suzuki Association of the Americas, American String Teacher Association, International Suzuki Association, Utah Music Educators Association
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Suzuki Association of Utah, 1996-present, violin, viola, bass.
- Utah Studio Teacher of the Year, Utah American String Teacher Association: 1997
- Instructor of Music Pedagogy: School of Music, Brigham Young University, 1996.
- Artistic Director, 1987-present: Lyceum Chamber Ensemble. Utah Valley Youth Symph-ony, Payson Chamber Ensemble.
- Guest conductor, Utah Valley Symphony, 1997 & 1999
- String Teacher: 44years, 2013
- Orchestra conductor: 38 years
- School Orchestra Teacher: 1975-1988, Davis, North Sanpete, and Nebo School Districts, American Heritage Lyceum Orchestra Program, 2006-present.
- Suzuki Mother: 25 years; all of my six children studied Suzuki strings, (violin, viola, cello, and bass.) All six finished every Suzuki book instrument book; all six took piano; four also took Suzuki organ.
“Music speaks what cannot be expressed,
Soothes the mind and gives it rest,
Heals the heart and makes it whole,
Flows from heaven to the soul.